Wednesday, May 29, 2024

...So what the heck does bumfuzzle mean anyway...

 Lance Parrish of the 1984 World Series Champion Detroit Tigers.



In my book, 1984 was the living, breathing definition of bumfuzzle...


  1984...Oy. A typical year for the most part until late June. A little family turmoil. When you're 14 and your family and life in general hit a speed bump for the first time...Well, I digress.  Hey, lets switch from a Christian School to a public high school in August to really ignite this tire fire while we're at it 😂😂.  Ahh mercy. I can look back now and chuckle. But back then...


"..My Civics Teacher drives an RX-7.."


    August 1984. The same week Atlanta Falcons star running back William Andrews, a huge favorite of mine, suffers what basically became a career ending knee injury, I debuted at a public High School. Macedonia High. Bad memory triggers. Hated it from day 1. Or should I say hated the fact I had to go there. School was perfectly ok. Teachers(my older sister being a teacher there) were fine. Students from top to bottom were all good folks. Good people. I simply didn't fit in, didn't belong there. But, I could, and should, have put forth some effort. As I said, good people at Macedonia. That's my loss. In my four years there I allowed exactly two people "In" to see and know the real me. A fellow student, who isn't getting mentioned here 😂. The other being a teacher. Who was debuting at Macedonia that year also. 

   When I'm asked the question everyone eventually gets asked in their life "Who were some individuals who influenced you?"  I always add the name Jack Gable as an influence. 1. Because it's true. 2. Because he's the only 100% positive influence in my life outside of immediate family.  As a teacher, well above average. Civics, Geography, History. Made the subjects, which can be mundane, pop a bit. But his real value was as a communicator. The ability to talk to any group, any individual. Regardless of race, ethnicity or gender is a gift. On virtually any topic. 

   I gravitated towards Mr.Gable a good bit. You wanna talk WW1. Done. Wanna talk WW2. Done. Wanna talk Motown Music in the 60's? Done. Wanna talk driving an RX-7 at around 110mph on a straight line Nebraska highway? Done. 😂 .  The man's knowledge, maybe it was the Vanderbilt education 😁, was unreal. Serious or humerous. He was a multi-tool person. Perceptive also. I knew that he knew I wasn't comfortable there. But never let on. He cared. 

   I would have several conversations with Mr. Gable over the next couple of years. Free periods, after school. Intelligent, but in no way arrogant, I loved those conversations. I cherish the memories now.  

By my Senior year, Mr. Gable had moved on to another job. He was missed greatly by the guy typing this. I made it a point from 89-92 to stop in at whatever school he was teaching at just to chat.  The last time I spoke with Mr.Gable was by phone in 1996 after being hired by NationsBank earlier that week.  Had no idea it would be the last time. I learned of his passing a few years back. To paraphrase Forrest Gump, that's all I got to say about that. 


"...Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..."

   I have no problem admitting that I have made an effort over the last 30 years to be "Gable-Like". Former pro wrestler Ernie Ladd would have put it this way: "Roten, you're stealin'  the man's approach to life.  You're a thief!" 😉😆.  Diversity of subjects for conversation. Trying to pack as much knowledge variety into my noggin as possible. I fall woefully short of Mr.Gable's standard 😂.


Harkening back to my prologue, Jack Gable was a very big piece of the journey of life here. One of a kind.  I thank him, greatly. 💓


  






No comments:

Post a Comment