Tuesday, July 9, 2024

... Joe Bonsall R.I.P. ...

 

   Life's Soundtrack ... 

   There are 5 Musical Groups / Artists who I can be linked to under the "Superfan" banner.

1. ZZ Top

2. Elton John

3. Def Leppard

4. The Oak Ridge Boys

5. Ronnie Milsap

   ZZ Top and their mystical vids. Bought an Elton John album at age 5. Def Leppard adding power to 1988. The Oak Ridge Boys and their chart dominance beginning the Summer we moved to South Carolina. Ronnie Milsap whose chart run began around the time the Lil' LanceR here started turning up the radio. Great music, talented. So much talent. I was so fortunate to be in a household in which all music was listened to. Hee Haw, Lawrence Welk, Gospel on the radio. The Midnight Special and Soul Train. So lucky was I. 

  


  Joe Bonsall, the incredibly gifted Tenor of The Oak Ridge Boys and lead singer on many of the groups biggest hits passed away due to ALS recently. A disease that can only be described as horrific. Known by most as Lou Gehrig's Disease. As a longtime Oaks fan I knew when Bonsall removed himself from touring in early 2024 that something was seriously wrong. Joe was the Energizer Bunny of the Oaks. 

   The Oaks Country Chart Hit career spanned roughly 1977 - early 1991. My age 7 - 21 years. I basically grew up during their peak. What a peak it was. 

      63 Singles

      17 Number One hits

Inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2010

Inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2015

 Help me wiki link: The Mighty Oaks  😇

               A solid resume I'd say. 

Love all their work. But I'll take a crack at narrowing it down to 8 favorites.


8. "Elvira". Ahh, novelty song. Love it. Sterban crushes it.

7. "Up On Cripple Creek". Cover of The Band's standard.

6. "Everyday". Mid 80's upbeat - uplifter.

5. "Little Things". From the underrated "Step on Out" LP.

4. "Y'all Come Back Saloon". First Top 10 hit in 1977.

3. "Touch a Hand, Make a Friend". The Staple Singers original version from the 70's is a classic. The Oaks harmonies with the guitar and synth sounds add an up-beat and when Joe Bonsall's Tenor takes over. Wow. Country magic.

    My 2 Favorites are on a different level for me.

2. "I Guess It Never Hurts to Hurt Sometimes". Songwriter Randy VanWarmer. Who penned the song following the death of his father. It is a melancholy tune. The lyrics can hit hard. The past is gone for good. Like waves breaking, they aren't coming back. 

"You try and hold on to the moment but time won't let you stay
But for every step you take you lose something on the way
You can't look forward to tomorrow and still hold on to yesterday
Oh I hope that you can hear me when I'm saying"

   The Oaks, with Bonsall's Tenor leading, took this to #1 in May 1984. VanWarmers lyrics cannot be complimented enough. His version, available on his album "Beat of Love" is powerful as well. If there's a definitive Joe Bonsall lead on an Oak Ridge Boys tune, this is it in my opinion. The Boys did great work on this song. My own Father passed away in 1986. I avoided listening to this song for years. As for why, it's a beautiful song that tugs strings.

1. "I Wish You Could Have Turned My Head (And Left My Heart Alone). Written by Sonny Throckmorton who also released it as a single that ddn't crack the the Top 40. Also recorded by the legend Conway Twitty. Summer of 1982. Fun Summer. This hit #2 on the charts. William Lee Golden and Duane Allen play dueling lead vocals. Sterban's Bass enters the fray then Bonsall's "yeah-yeah-yeah.." and then a horn section!! I so love this song. It's short verse wise but still clocks in at 3:25 of pure musical heaven to my ears. Far and away the best version of this tune.

   A part of my past passed on with Joe Bonsall's passing. A case of someone, or a group, affecting ones life though they may never know it. The Oak Ridge Boys music helped me through a dark time or two. A case of the good eventually overwhelming the sad. And I can still listen to the Oaks belting the tunes out anytime I wish. Proud to be a fan 🤙

                  Thanks for the music and memories ... 










No comments:

Post a Comment