Friday, August 2, 2024

  Meanwhile ... at DaLancRo Tower on Electric Avenue ...



 "You know, we have a goal and collecting doctrine. And we adhere to it. "

  
  " ... Podcast. I could see that."

   Sneakers ... Though I'm not a Sneakerhead ...

  With above average accuracy I can recall every pair of sneakers I've worn since 1976. The perils of a drug free and virtually alcohol free lifestyle 😄
   "He has a selective photographic memory" one of my older sisters once opined 😆
 
  Converse, Trax, Jox, Cuga, Puma, Reebok, Avia, Asics, British Knights, Nike, Skechers. 
Ahh Converse, Trax & Jox in elementary school. Fun times on the playground. Cuga while attending the private Christian school. Jeez, what became of Cuga? Kinda looked like Diadora's. Pic 'n Pay used to carry Cuga's. Come to think of it, what became of Pic 'n Pay?
  Back to public school for High School and there were not a lot of Jox or Cuga wearers 😆.
Puma - Adidas - Aigner - Converse dotted the landscape. 

  " ... What the heck's a Aigner? ... "

  Aigner's super premium. German. I remember a couple of gals in high school wearing them. One of which has moved on to great things in the business world. Which occured after seeing Beetlejuice at the theater  and eating at McDonalds with me. And a random shared Limo ride. Her success is a tribute to her perseverance in surving all those shenanigans and that trauma.  
   Back on topic. I loved the Puma Suedes. Never had any for school wear though. Only pair I had was Summer worn in '85. Not the best, not the worst. Early '85 my first pair of Nike's. The Penetrator. Low cut, white, royal blue swoosh. Man, loved those. Couple of pairs of Reebok's followed along with a cool pair of White/Blue Avia 830's and a low cut pair of British Knights.
  
  Nothing but a Nike buyer and wearer from 1988 - 2020 when these appeared on the scene:


  Early '88. Finally, a top shelf, high demand sneaker that I could find locally and in the right size.

         Not going through my roster of Nike's over the years but I'll give a quick "atta boy Nike!" to a few pairs.
   
    The OG Air Revolution (2/88-6/91) pictured above. Nike's best basketball sneaker in my opinion. Durable beyond belief. Could take a beating. The later retro releases lacked those qualities. 


   The Air Force III (1/89-7/90). I wore the III's until they nearly turned to dust. And the pic above is in the colorway of mine back in the day. Durable. A touch lighter than the Air Revolution. A great outdoor court shoe. 


     Jordan Team 9.5 (7/07-12/19). 10+ years but had 2 pairs and didn't dog them out. So technically the Jordan brand but I mean, c'mon. 😉.  Quality and durability surpass most of Nike's 2002 - present offerings. In some ways the 9.5's combined the best of the Air Revs & Force III's. Great sneaker both performance and looks wise. 

   Nike had some shaky offerings as well. The Air Pressure's from around 1990. Yikes. The Shox Supremacy from 02/03. No durability. Air Max Penny IV from '99 had some issues. The Air Zoom Huarache Elite TB from 2004 - 2006. Those had bad soles. Quality and durability from Nike/ Jordan took a dive starting around 01/02. Poor materials? Lazy craft? Dunno. But by 2020 my years of loyalty ran out. Skechers casuals would be it for me ...
                   Until ...
              "The 1980's are here sir. They have a delivery for you ..."







  
   Avia drops the 715 & 720. They have a very distinct late 80's / early 90's look. Both in the colorway I prefer. White/Black. With a touch of gray on the 720's.  The 715's remind me a little bit of the Nike Air Flight (OG 89's) and the Nike Air Flight Bound (OG '93). The 720's are close to the Air Force III's in fit and weight. Great look for both. Comfortable to wear, appear well built. At a price point that encourages buying.  I'll see how they hold up. The Avia brand and retro look pulled me in.  😃




Summer break time ...



     

        Later ....



No comments:

Post a Comment